Saturday, 10 September 2016

Canary-shouldered Thorn moth, Ennomos alniaria.

This morning I had a real prize on our doorstep, a Canary-shouldered Thorn, Ennomos alniaria. 

It's a beautiful moth, I saw one at Cromwell last year, but this is the first time I've seen one in our garden. It was on the doorstep, so I had the chance of a lot of good shots from different angles. I sometimes wonder what neighbours think of me. One minute I'm up a ladder with a camera, bending at silly angles, next, I'm prostrate on the garden path. At my age, it has too  look strange, but then, I think they are used to me now, after living her for over 30 years.

This specimen is in beautiful condition. Quite a few of the moths I've seen here of late, have been very battle scarred and worn. it made for lovely photos.

Habitat: Woodland, gardens, parks, fens and scrub land.
Wingspan: 38 to 42 mm. Forewing 16-20 mm.
Flight: July to October.
Foodplant: Various trees including Alder, Downy and Silver Birch, lime and elm.
Life cycle: One generation a year.  Overwintering as an egg on the foodplant. Larvae may be seen from May to July. Pupation takes place among plant debris.
Listed as: Common.

Canary-shouldered Thorn moth, -
Ennomos alniaria.

Like other Thorn's, it holds 
its wings up when resting.




Have a good day,
Gordon.




No comments:

Post a Comment